This is excellent
- It is shameful that the country that put a man on the freaking moon
is now ranked at the bottom of the list in science and math education. Purely shameful.
- Science IS awesome, and kids need to be shown this so that they will use science to make the world even more awesome. We can't cure cancer if people stop studying science!
- If people are educated about how science works, hopefully we can cut out all this pseudoscience nonsense that keeps getting passed around as "valid". Maybe then we can actually eliminate some more diseases once people realize that vaccines are GOOD, not an evil plot to let aliens control our brains (or whatever it is Jenny McCarthy is claiming today).
- Also, if people respect science a little more, hopefully we can stop turning science into a political game and actually ACT on what we learn, instead of trying to pretend there are two sides to everything ever. Sometimes, facts is just facts, and if those facts disagree with your party line then you need to just get over it. When science is saying HEY GUYS THIS IS HAPPENING you can't just ignore it because it will hurt your political campaign!
- Oh, and I love love love the idea of getting science into little-kid shows like Sesame Street, because I earnestly believe that we neeeeeeed to get kids curious about the world. Creativity and curiosity are SUCH GOOD THINGS. It's the "teach a man to fish" thing- if you teach kids how to explore their world at a young age, they will forever be questing to learn more, so you won't have to try to MAKE them learn any more than you have to MAKE them eat their dessert.
Basically, ROCK ON, OBAMA.